In this episode, I interview a mindful man with multiple businesses in the magical world of cinema. If you love the camera, film sets, and tech talk as I do, we get into all of those things. He is also a phenomenal Director of Photography in the feature film and commercial world. We also explore how breaking his leg in 5 places was a good thing, and why actively taking a pause throughout the day can save you a lot of trouble. Please enjoy a rewarding conversation with one of my dear friends and colleagues who is also one of my much-appreciated mentors, Mr. Sacha Riviére.
- [2:00] Interview begins
- [3:10] Set Stories – laughing gets you kicked off set. Step back and remember making films is a serious playground
- [7:30] How Sacha got involved in the film industry
- If you get in as a Production Assistant, always ask ask ask to work in the department you’re interested in.
- [12:35] As a 1st AC (Assistant Cameraman) and working at Panavision. “Less about networking and more about relationships”
- [16:00] Shooting on film. Challenges and inner sense. Tech stuff.
- [19:30] Blocking – Moving Camera and Actors. Cast and crew should know how the scenes are blocked because everyone can do there best and keep good time.
- [20:28] Going with your gut and SPEAKING UP. People may not like your mistakes but you’ll get respect by admitting them. They will find out soon enough anyway, might as well be the one tell them.
- [21:55] Transition from AC to Cameraman and declining gigs.
- [24:00] Morning Routine. Preparing and reminding yourself to pause. Look out for the cues! Mindfulness in Filmmaking.
- [30:30] The Director Of Photography and how he captures visual images. Key Principles as a Director of Photography
- [32:00] Sacha’s process of shooting a film, start to finish.
- [38:20] Working with the Director and understand their vision.
- [40:30] From broken legs to working computers to a successful rental business in the film industry called The DIT House. www.theDITHOUSE.com
- [47:00] Dealing with Giving up mentality. Look at different choices and count how many things you have tried.
- [49:00] Sacha also started Mindfulness Studios, a socially responsible production company that tells stories that are honest and good for the soul. Check more out here www.MindfulnessStudios.com
- [50:45] What type of person is fit for the film industry?
- [53:15] ZOOMING out and getting a GRIP. Under pressure and high expectations, remember what you’re doing is not life and death.
- [56:00] Mistakes and oversleeping! It happens, but be aware that being late could be a subconscious way of trying taking control because something in your life is out of control.
- [58:55] Difficulties in Free Lancing. “Don’t place your self-esteem on when you are working or not.”
- [1:00:30] Must have tool for Cameramen! Know where the sun is going to be and track it! Sacha uses the appSun Surveyor http://www.sunsurveyor.com
- [1:01:30] Sacha’s Epitaph ideas, “Do what you Love”
- See Sacha’s work at www.sachariviere.com and follow him @vitafilm on instagram https://www.instagram.com/vitafilm/
- [1:02:30] One step Sacha recommends is to take chances and be willing to ask for help.
If you found some gold in this episode, please subscribe and share!